Indie Theatre USO helps Children & Familes
When Hurricane Sandy hit, the Rockaways in Queens was are one of the communities with the most devastation. Huge housing units filled with children and families have been without power or running water.
The children in these areas have had a particularly difficult time coping with the uncertainties of this disaster. We all know that theatre has the power to heal and bring communities together and now is the time to demonstrate that - sort of like an Indie Theatre USO.
We have been given permission to accompany the Mobile Medical Units from the Children’s Health Fund to the Rockaways this weekend to perform childrens theatre, tell stories and provide arts and crafts activities to those families in need.
Saturday & SundayNovember 17th & 18th
11AM to 3PM
NYCHA Beach 40th Street Community CenterCorner of Beach 40th and Beach Channel Drive
Here’s what you can help with:
- Money – (not a lot, but some) we need donations to help pay for the gas, supplies and food for our response team. This is a tax deductible donation.
- Coloring books and crayons – the one item that the families asked for the most was coloring books and crayons, paper bags, arts and crafts supplies and any other activities that be done without power. Contact Heather Cunningham (email@example.com) who is coordinating the supplies donation
- Supplies - tarps, garbage bags, a folding table, folding chairs...
- Ideas – what other activities would be fun for kids and families – let us know
- Volunteers – we need a team of performers and volunteers to go with us to make this happen. If you are available, please let us know.
To Edge Auto Rental for donating a passenger van to transport performers and volunteers
Please note, we are not officially associated with the United Service Organizations (USO) we only use this as a way of demonstrating the types of entrainment and moral boosting activities we intend to provide.